Saturday, August 27, 2011

On a Good Day

Every so often there are days in my life when the nearness of God is palpable. When the things of the unseen world seem to come into focus. When peace is real and all-consuming, and joy is bright even in the darkness of a sin-filled world. Though these days come and go, their length of stay doesn't matter so long as they come. And so long as I can remember they came.

I'm thankful today for some good days.  I'm thankful for a broken heart and eyes wide open to a world full of suffering. I'm thankful that God has imparted a realization that He alone is good.  And that He knows. He sees. He's not just standing by. I'm also particularly thankful that He persists in loving and teaching me; here's a few lessons He's been bringing to my mind a lot lately:

  1. We're not going to be here for long.  This life is BRIEF-only a grain of sand in the ocean of eternity.  
  2. This world is a messed up place, desperately in need of JESUS. 

Believe it or not, these two simple, some would say obvious, realizations, are what's bringing me such joy lately. No I do not take joy in the world's suffering, but I am filled with joy as I wait to see what God will do next.  Because just as sure as He's lovingly leading me, I KNOW He is at work in those around me. God is on the move, friends. Big time. And He will use us if we let Him.

Maybe God is calling you, as He has been me, to take pause and ask yourself, Am I doing enough?  Is God's church, The Hope of the World, doing enough for our fellow humans who are hungry, tired, sick, mistreated?  How much of our time is spent working toward selfish gain: more stuff, better stuff, entertainment, security, refuge from the troubles of the world?  Have we forgotten that we will have all of eternity to rest from the work we do here?

Please don't misunderstand me. This is not a message of condemnation.  It is an invitation to a better life.  A life full of more of Him and less of us. Excitement. Joy. Peace. Love. Nearness to the One who made us. I have yet to really understand the fullness of a life with Christ (and I won't on this side of Heaven).  But I can taste it friends, and it is so good. Don't slow down in your pursuit of it.

I hope there are more good days coming.  For all of us.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

2 comments:

  1. I, too, pray that there are many more good days coming...for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so "in line" with everything I've been wrestling with lately, as well! Thank you for your words of wisdom. I need to remember to be thankful for this broken heart.

    ReplyDelete